Current events reflection

In the first few current events classes, I started by looking at North Korea, because I have been interested in that country for a while. I looked at what living in North Korea was like for the average citizen, finding that people who work with the military or government have more rights, like being able to travel outside of the country. They are only allowed to do this when they have a family back home, so they are able to hold them hostage if they try to escape when they are outside of the country. I also discovered that the leader, Kim Jong-un, see’s himself as a god, and teaches this in classrooms. I then turned my focus towards a possibility of World War III. This started with the United States having war ships and submarines near North Korea, followed by a warning being sent to the U.S that they have powerful wepons that they are not afraid to use. This was confirmed with reported weapons testing outside of Pyongyang, the nations capital.

In later classes, I began working on something closer to home. I looked at the carbon tax in Canada, and why the sask party doesn’t want to have a carbon tax in Saskatchewan. This was also when I first posted to twitter about what I was researching. What I found was that the province want to wait for our economy to improve, like how jobs in the oil patch are sparse, and the Canadian dollar is poor. A few of my classmates and I agree with this, especially with the buget cuts effecting Saskatchewan right now. Most other provinces think that the car bin tax is a good thing right now, and a few have already put one in place. I still believe that Canada is not one of the first places to have a carbon tax, because we have a considerably smaller carbon footprint than other countries. I think that renewable energy or resources are important, but we should start by enforcing clean energy, not punishing non renewable resources.